Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Katie's Berry-Banana-Oatmeal Smootie

I am not sure what my deal is, but 9 out of 10 mornings, I don't want to perform the physical act of chewing. This is particularly weird for me because I love to eat.

Let me rephrase.

I love to eat when someone else makes it for me.

Enter smoothies - my breakfast savior. One of my friends actually got me hooked on smoothies a few years ago, and I have slowly refined my smoothie recipe to a science - partly thanks to Pinterest.

Smoothies are great for the following reasons:

  1. I have managed to squeeze four food groups into a single tumbler.
  2. No chewing involved.
  3. Time effective. 
I am always running out of the house in the morning, so I try (sometimes I am too tired) to put all my ingredients in my Bullet blender cup the night before, so all I need to do in the morning is put it on the blender and dump it in my tumbler. 

Without further ado - the Katie's Berry-Banana-Oatmeal Smoothie. 
  • 5-6 "cubes" (see below) of vanilla yogurt
  • 1/2 c. mixed berries (I buy the frozen ones)
  • 1/2 banana, sliced
  • 1/2 c. quick oats
  • 3/4c. juice (I usually use orange juice because it's cheapest, but any juice will work)
  • 1 scoop unflavored protein powder
Combine all of the ingredients, blend and enjoy!

Here are some time-saving tips for those who are always running late:
  • Buy a large container of yogurt and freeze in an ice cube tray. After they're frozen, free from the tray and divide into separate "serving" baggies. This saves on mess and allows you to just throw them in the blender when you're ready. I use 5-6 cubes/smoothie, but you can play around with that depending on the size of your cubes.
  • Divide fruit into separate serving baggies (with the yogurt cubes). Again - saves time and mess!
I've seen on Pinterest that the "new" thing for smoothies is to add oatmeal - as you can see, I do. I actually got this from the Abs Diet - which I try to incorporate into my diet... Most of the time... Well, I think about it anyway. :) 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment